States were divided into Counties
Counties were divided into Townships
Townships were divided into Sections
Each section had a schoolhouse
Pleasant Township had nine schools
Ewart had one school house with
Could you have passed the 8th
grade in 1895?
grandparents and great-grandparents stated that they
had an 8th grade education? Perhaps less. Many had to
and work to
support their family during the pioneering days.
Could any of us
have passed the 8th grade in 1895?
CLOSELY….. THAT'S EIGHTEEN NINETY FIVE!)
This is the eighth-grade final exam from 1895 in
Salina, Kansas, USA. It was taken from the
original document on file at the Smokey Valley
Genealogical Society and Library in Salina, KS,
and reprinted by the Salina Journal.
8th Grade Final Exam:
Grammar (Time, one hour)
1. Give nine rules for the use of capital letters.
Name the parts of speech and define those that have no
3. Define verse, stanza and paragraph.
4. What are the principal parts of a verb? Give principal parts
of "lie," "play,"' and "run."
5. Define case; Illustrate
6. What is punctuation? Give rules for
principal marks of punctuation.
7 - 10. Write a composition of about 150 words and show
therein that you understand
the practical use
of the rules of grammar.
Arithmetic (Time: 1.25 hours)
Name and define the Fundamental Rules of Arithmetic.
2. A wagon box is 2 ft. deep, 10 feet
long, and 3 ft. wide. How many bushels of wheat will it
3. If a load of wheat weighs 3942 lbs., what is it worth at
50¢/bushel, deducting 1050 lbs. for tare?
4. District No. 33 has
a valuation of $35,000. What is the necessary levy
to carry on a school seven
months at $50 per month, and have $104 for incidentals?
the cost of 6720 lbs. coal at $6.00 per ton.
6. Find the interest of $512.60 for 8
months and 18 days at 7 percent.
7. What is the cost of 40 boards
12 inches wide and 16 ft. long at $20 per metre?
bank discount on $300 for 90 days (no grace) at 10 percent.
What is the cost of a square farm at $15 per acre, the distance of
which is 640 rods?
10. Write a Bank Check, a Promissory
Note, and a Receipt.
Orthography (Time, one hour)
(WHAT IS THIS ANYHOW?)
1. What is meant by the following: Alphabet,
phonetic, orthography, etymology, syllabication
are elementary sounds? How classified?
3. What are the following, and give examples of each:
Trigraph, sub vocals, diphthong,
cognate letters, lingual's.
4. Give four substitutes for caret 'u.' (HUH?)
Give two rules for spelling words with final 'e.' Name two
exceptions under each rule.
6. Give two uses of silent
letters in spelling. Illustrate each.
7. Define the following prefixes and use in connection with
bi, dis, mis, pre,
semi,post,non, inter, mono, sup.
8. Mark diacritically and divide into syllables
the following, and name the sign that indicates the sound:
card, ball, mercy, sir,
odd, cell, rise, blood, fare, last.
9. Use the following correctly in sentences: cite, site, sight,
fane, fain, feign, vane, vain, vein, raze, raise, rays.
10. Write 10 words frequently mispronounced and indicate
pronunciation by use of diacritical marks and by syllabication.
Geography (Time, one hour)
1. What is
climate? Upon what does climate depend?
2. How do you account for the extremes of climate in Kansas?
3. Of what
use are rivers? Of what use is the ocean?
Describe the mountains of North America
5. Name and describe the following: Monrovia, Odessa,
Manitoba, Hecla, Yukon, St. Helena, Juan Fernandez,
Aspinwall and Orinoco.
6. Name and locate the principal
trade centers of the U.S.
7. Name all the republics of Europe and give the capital of
8. Why is the Atlantic Coast colder than the
Pacific in the same latitude?
9. Describe the process by which the water of the ocean
returns to the sources of rivers.
10. Describe the
movements of the earth. Give the inclination of the earth.
that the exam took FIVE HOURS to complete. Gives the saying
"he only had an 8th grade education" a whole new meaning,
doesn't it?! Also, it shows you how poor our current
education system has become.
in the Early Days but not
used at Ewart
at Ewart were able to ride horses or ponies to school. There was a
small shed, a stable, to house the animal during session.
© 2018 Casa de la Música • All information gathered
by this site will not be sold or shared.
Suggestions, comments, or
great thoughts should be directed to
Saturday, August 18, 2018 11:38:08 AM